The upcoming Marvel's Avengers game has been delayed, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics have announced. Previously scheduled for launch in May, Avengers' release date is now set for September 4, 2020. The news coincides with the delay of Final Fantasy VII Remake, another much-anticipated Square Enix game.
In a post written by Scot Amos and Ron Rosenberg, the co-studio heads of Crystal Dynamics, the two describe their desire to "deliver the ultimate Avengers gaming experience." They say the delay is necessary to make that happen.
"As fans ourselves, it's an honor and a privilege to work with these legendary characters and we know what these super heroes mean to us and true believers around the world," the two wrote. "When we set out to bring you our vision for Marvel's Avengers, we committed to delivering an original story-driven campaign, engaging co-op, and compelling content for years to come. To that end, we will spend this additional development time focusing on fine tuning and polishing the game to the high standards our fans expect and deserve.
"The worldwide teams working on Marvel's Avengers sincerely appreciate the support you've shown us. We thrive on your enthusiasm and feedback and we can't wait to show you more. We apologize for the delay. We're confident it will be worth the wait."
After being announced back in 2017 as The Avengers Project, Marvel's Avengers was unveiled at E3 2019. At the time, the game received criticism for some for the look of its characters, as well as unclear messaging about what form the game would take. We've since gotten some clarity on the structure of the game and changes have been made to its visuals.
When it arrives in September, Avengers will be released for Xbox One, PS4, PC, and Google Stadia. You can learn more about it in our Avengers pre-order guide.
- Biggest PS5 And PS4 Exclusives Coming In 2020 So Far
- Top New Games Releasing On Switch, PS4, And Xbox One This Week — January 12-18, 2020
- Biggest Nintendo Switch Exclusives Of 2020 So Far
- Biggest Xbox Series X and Xbox One Exclusives Coming In 2020 So Far
- Rainbow Six Siege Gets A Major Update – GS News Update
- Resident Evil 4 Turns 15 Years Old
- Temtem – Official "Play Together!" Gameplay Trailer
- The Feature That Almost Sank Disco Elysium | Audio Logs
- How Games Are Lying To Us About Silencers – Loadout
- 20 Minutes Of Zombie Army 4: Dead War Solo Horde Mode Gameplay
- Doom And Doom 2 Get Major Update – GS News Update
- We Play Monster Hunter World: Iceborne On PC With You | Community Fridays
Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?
Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
This video has an invalid file format.
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video
Now Playing: Why Ms. Marvel Is The Real Hero Of The Avengers Game
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email [email protected]