GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
Capcom officially pulled back the curtain on its next Resident Evil venture, tentatively known as Project Resistance, during this year's Tokyo Game Show. Earlier this week, the company revealed the first gameplay trailer, and now it has shared some more details on what players can expect from the upcoming title.
Unlike a traditional Resident Evil game, Project Resistance is a 4v1 asymmetrical multiplayer experience. Four players must work together to overcome the traps and other deadly hazards set by the lone Mastermind, who is capable of manipulating the environment and even controlling enemies. As Capcom describes:
"In each 4v1 match, one Mastermind player tracks the four Survivors through a network of security cameras, staying one step ahead at every turn to prevent their escape. The Mastermind plots a deadly course by wielding a strategic deck of cards to create dangerous obstacles for the Survivors, such as summoning vicious creatures, setting traps, manipulating the environment, and weaponizing security cameras. He or she can also directly control zombies in play. In addition, Mastermind players can even step into the trench coat of the towering, deadly Tyrant for the first time in franchise history."
- Top New Game Releases On Switch, PS4, Xbox One, And PC This Week — September 8-14, 2019
- Nintendo Switch Update 9.0.0 Out Now – GS News Update
- Borderlands 3 – Craziest Guns We've Seen So Far
- Borderlands 3 Opening Cinematic
- Apple Reveals iPhone 11, Apple Arcade Price & Release Date – GS News Update
- Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare – Multiplayer Beta Trailer
- Pokemon Go September Community Day Starts Soon – GS News Update
- Weird New Fitness Device For Switch Detailed – GS News Update
- COD: Modern Warfare Early Access Beta | GameSpot Live
- Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot Release Date & Special Editions Announced – GS News Update
- AI: The Somnium Files – Trippy Dream World Investigation Gameplay
- Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon – Japanese Minigame And Job System Gameplay Trailer | TGS 2019
Want us to remember this setting for all your devices?
Please use a html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
This video has an invalid file format.
The four survivor players aren't completely helpless in the face of these horrors. Each character has their own unique skills, which players will need to use to overcome the Mastermind's traps. Teamwork will also be vital to surviving, as players will need to work together to solve "puzzle style mission objectives" and escape before the time expires.
Project Resistance is in development for PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Capcom hasn't yet announced a release date for the game, but certain players will soon have an opportunity to try it out. The publisher is hosting a closed beta test from October 4-7 for Resident Evil Ambassador members (PS4) and Xbox Insiders (Xbox One). Registration for the beta is open until September 18. You can read more details on how to sign up on the official Project Resistance website.
We recently got a chance to go hands-on with Project Resistance and came away hopeful. You can hear what we thought about the game in the video above.
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email [email protected]